Saturday, October 25, 2008

Dry Bones


One of the down sides of aging is dry, brittle bones. Six years ago, I missed a step and instantly broke my leg in three places. What a wake-up call that was! All of a sudden, I was one-legged, scooting around in a wheelchair. I was dependent on the DH for almost everything. Just getting to the bathroom was a huge production. I'd worked in a nursing home for 28 years but never felt the empathy that I developed over the next six weeks---I'd been placed in their shoes. Eventually, my husband commented that he was getting pretty tired of my broken leg, to which I replied, "Not as tired as I am". Well, two years later, we were at the lake, he went down a slope in flip-flops and broke his ankle in several places. Now it was his turn to hop around and depend on me for his care. Of course, I couldn't resist telling him that I was getting pretty tired of his broken ankle!

No comments: