Friday, September 19, 2008

Incoming!


When I was a young bride, my late husband moved me into a converted schoolhouse in a tiny Minnesota town. He was stationed at the Air Force Base down the road, so he was busy. Needless to say, I was bored and lonely---no family, no friends and no place to work. It didn't take long to clean two rooms or walk to the only store. My contact with the outside world was a radio; we didn't even have television. So one day, he surprised me with a little black cocker spaniel with brown eyebrows. I fell immediately in love and named him Sam. He became my companion and my confidante. One day, to ease the boredom, I proceeded to make donuts. How hard could that be? I decided I was an awesome donut-maker because Sam would beg for one, disappear and then ask for another. Unfortunately, he was hiding them in the bedroom closet. The next morning, Bob told his buddies that he got very little sleep because the dog dropped donut bombs all night. Thankfully, he learned to be a better husband and I learned to be a better cook, so the marriage lasted for 36 years.

No comments: