Monday, September 15, 2008

Pheasant Under Glass?


These beautiful Fall days trigger some wonderful memories of my parents. During hunting season, they would load my brother and me in the car and embark on a Sunday afternoon of road hunting. I'd sit in the back seat with my homework in my lap, basking in the October sunshine and enjoying the outing. Upon spotting a ditch-dwelling pheasant, Dad would slam on the brakes, jump from the front seat---leaving the door wide open---and bag the bird with one shot. In those days, pheasants were very plentiful and he'd get his limit in a short time. Then came the best part---Mother's cooking. Nobody could pan fry a pheasant like my mom. Unfortunately, most of our grandchildren will never have the pleasure of eating pheasant under glass or any other way.

No comments: